Son Amar walks towards a greener future
We take our environmental responsibilities very seriously and aim to set our standards so high that they set the bar very high within the industry.
To this end, we have implemented certain rules that we must all follow. These rules educate us all and help this company to excel in another area, become an industry leader and be publicly recognized for our respect for the environment.
Son Amar has its own Foundation called Fundación Son Amar. The objectives of this foundation are to support environmental problems and to help Mallorca, as well as outside the island, to be more responsible with the environment.
Waste management (with steroids)
- Buy cleaning products in larger containers.
- Use bottles that can be filled.
- Provide the staff with bottles of water that are filled.
- Give the staff refreshing drinks in a glass and stop using the disposable cans of the vending machines.
- Use only rechargeable batteries.
- Stop all unnecessary printing (13 printers have been removed in our offices).
- Provide tablets to replace the printed material.
- Use only paper cups and wooden sticks instead of plastic cups and spoons.
- In our company we use only pens and biodegradable bags.
- We use biodegradable materials for our coffee as well as our main point of purchase.
- The napkins for our bars and staff are now recycled paper.
- The cardboard packaging is crushed as a sediment layer in our gardens. We also take advantage of the clothes in our stables with the horses.
- Corks (from thousands of wine bottles) are used as a sediment layer for the garden.
- All glass is stored and recycled in the local glass factory. In turn, they are active donors of the Son Amar Environmental Foundation.
- All our metal waste is recycled in the local scrap yard, and every last penny is donated to the Son Amar Foundation.
- The batteries that must finally be discarded are placed in our battery tank and then recycled through a specialized association.
- We recycle almost everything, from glass and plastic to paper, metal and organic waste.
- The recycling of organic waste is carried out on a large scale in Son Amar.
- The uncooked vegetable remains are used to feed the chickens.
- The leftover bread dries naturally and is milled to feed chickens and birds.
- BIG BEN and the Worm Farms: all the coffee and other organic waste get into the BIG BEN, a specially designed giant grinder, and it becomes the best compost imaginable. This compost feeds our worm farm.
- The compost that feeds the worm farm rests for 12 months before we add the compost to our gardens and return to our ecosystem.
- The remaining cooking oil is delivered to a local company to produce local products with it.
- All garden waste and waste from the barn are converted into fertilizer.
- Any large pieces of wood are burned and we reuse the ashes as compost.
- Our packets of sugar, sweetener and butter are now paper instead of single-use plastic.
Reducing our carbon emissions
- Solar panels have been installed to reduce the amount of electricity we consume from the electricity grid.
- Hundreds of electrical elements have been eliminated by reducing the corridor lighting from every 3 to every 6 meters.
- A large number of printers have been reduced in our offices.
- Light sensors and timers have been placed in almost all areas.
- All LED bulbs have been changed inside and out.
- The number of connectors and storage have been reduced.
- Now we buy less and store less in turn.
- Buy only electrical appliances or machinery with energy saving qualities.
- The leaf blowers are now electric.
- Windows were added in the north facing areas to increase daylight and thus reduce the lights during the day.
- We have installed geothermal heating and cooling to our rooms for staff and other rooms, thus reducing the need for air conditioning.
- Now we collect water from rain, showers and sinks to use in our toilets, thus reducing the amount of clean water we use.
- An E charging station for electric cars has been installed.